What is a BA?

The abbreviation BA stands for Building Application, and this is the application we make to the council in order to receive a building permit, which is our ticket to build.


There are two different types of building applications available, and when it comes to residential building and additions, we have the choice of which type we would like to use.


The “standard” building application is a BA2, and is the most common type of building application used for residential additions, ie sheds and patios. This type of building application has a statutory timeframe attached to it, which is a maximum of 25 working days.


At a minimum, the documents you would need to submit to council for a BA2 application would be:

  • A completed and signed BA2 form
  • A site plan at a scale of 1:200
  • A floor plan at a scale of 1:100
  • Elevations at a scale of 1:100
  • Structural engineering details


This would generally be sufficient for an outbuilding or patio application, but when it comes to larger projects like an extension to your home or a new home, there is more detail required. Different council’s also ask for different information to be submitted with the application, so to make sure you are submitting the correct information, I would highly recommend visiting your local council’s website and downloading a building application checklist to ensure there are no hold ups along the way.


The second building application type is a BA1, and this one is not as well know as its counterpart. A BA1 is a building application that is certified by an independent building surveyor, prior to submitting the application to council. This means that council has less work to complete on the application process, and can therefore reduce the time taken to complete your application. This building application type also has a statutory timeframe attached to it, which is a maximum of 10 working days.


The building documents you would submit to council for a BA1 application are the same as you would for a BA2, however the documents are stamped by a building surveyor. During the certification process, the building surveyor will also issue a Certificate of Design Compliance (BA3) to be submitted with your certified documents.


Sometimes a BA1 application is necessary in order to have your application accepted by council. This could be due to there being a fire separation issue on site, or perhaps your local council does not accept BA2 type applications. 

When it comes down to it, the type of building application we choose is highly dependent on the time you have available for approvals, your budget and the type and location of the structure on your property.


If this sounds too difficult to navigate, please drop us a line, we are always here to help.